All-American Beef Chili with Beans
Enjoy this All-American beef chili recipe with beans for a hearty dinner. Food blogger Jenna Weber explains why coffee is the secret ingredient in this recipe in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 3 16-oz cans chili beans (pinto beans in mild sauce)
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
- 10 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1.5 lbs ground beef, 85% lean
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup brewed coffee
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- For Serving
- sour cream
- sliced or pickled jalapenos
- grated cheddar cheese
- cornbread wedges
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium high heat. When hot, add the onions and sauté until translucent --- about five minutes. Add the ground beef and garlic and cook until browned.
- When the meat has browned, add the mushrooms and stir well. Cook for five more minutes, until mushrooms become tender. Then, stir in the beans (with sauce), tomato sauce, Rotel and brewed coffee.
- Bring chili to a boil then reduce heat and simmer. Add the sugar, bay leaf, chili powder, cumin and salt. Continue simmering on low heat for 45 minutes, stirring often. Adjust seasonings according to your taste preference ---- I added a little cayenne pepper here but you’ll want to taste it before going crazy.
- Serve chili in big bowls topped with sliced jalapenos, crumbled cornbread, cheddar cheese and dollops of sour cream.