- 1 cup whole blanched almonds toasted
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large whole egg plus 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To toast the almonds, spread them on a rimmed baking sheet, and place in a 350-degree oven. Remove when they're golden brown and fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Reserve 1/4 cup almonds (about 28) for garnish. Place remaining 3/4 cup in a food processor; pulse until finely ground.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy. Add whole egg, orange zest, and almond extract (if using); beat until smooth. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating just until incorporated. Mix in ground almonds.
- Using 1 level tablespoon per cookie, roll dough into balls. Drop onto prepared sheets, at least 1 inch apart. Garnish each cookie with a reserved almond (page 100). In a small bowl, lightly beat egg white with 1 teaspoon water; brush over cookies (discard excess white).
- Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets from top to bottom and back to front halfway through. Let cool slightly; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.