Apple Brown Betty
Serve this recipe with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
Prep time: 25 Minutes
Total time: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 4 to 5 slices white sandwich bread (about 4 ounces total) torn into large pieces
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter melted
- 2 1/2 lbs. Gala apples (about 6) peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup packed light- or dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon plus more for serving (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor, pulse bread until coarse crumbs form (you should have about 2 cups). Spread breadcrumbs on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely. Transfer to a bowl, add butter, and toss until coated.
- Meanwhile, place apples in a large bowl, and toss with lemon juice. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and half the breadcrumbs. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square (or other shallow 2-quart) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake until fruit mixture is bubbling, about 40 minutes. Then remove foil, and continue baking until breadcrumbs have browned and apples are easily pierced with a paring knife, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Top, if desired, with vanilla ice cream sprinkled with cinnamon.