Apple Olive Oil Cake
This apple olive oil cake is perfect for snacking and the recipe is very straight forward. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme of Fresh Tastes)
- 2 small apples, of choice (I love honey crisp, gala, pink lady)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup AP flour
- 1 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9-inch cake pan with a round of parchment and rub the sides with olive oil. Shred apples with a box grater. Transfer the shredded apples to the center of a few sheets of paper towels. Squeeze the apples to release all of the liquid. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and egg together until the mixture turns a pale yellow. Pour in the vanilla extract, olive oil and buttermilk; mix until smooth. Add the ground cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder and flour. Whisk until speckles of flour are no longer visible. Mix in the shredded apples.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan, smoothing out the top so it’s nice and even. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is lightly golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.