It doesn't have to be Thanksgiving to have a good helping of stuffing. This apple stuffing recipe is the perfect comfort food after a chilly fall day.
Source: Adapted from A Family Living Program, University of Wisconsin Cooperative Ex- tension Service.
Cook time: 1 Hour
Yield: 8 servings
- 10 cups whole wheat bread cubes
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley dried or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 apples cored and chopped or 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Put bread cubes in large bowl. Set aside.
- Put cider in medium saucepan. Add onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes. Do not drain.
- Pour over bread cubes. Stir in milk and egg.
- Gently stir in apples and/or raisins, if desired. Spoon into a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350° F for 1 hour.
Nutrition Info(Each serving provides 133 calories, 17 calories from fat, 1.8 grams fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 24 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 22.7 grams carbohydrates, 3.3 grams fiber, 8.8 grams sugar, 7 grams protein)