- 2 cups (7 oz.) Fontina Cheese shredded
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored and grated (skin on)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- Combine cheese, apple, egg and cream in small bowl. Set aside.
- Brush 6 muffin tins or 8 oz ramekins with butter. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Lay phyllo out on clean, dry work surface. Keep covered with kitchen towel.
- Remove top layer of phyllo and place on work surface. Brush with clarified butter.
- Remove second sheet of phyllo from stack and place on top of buttered phyllo. Brush new layer with butter.
- Continue stacking and buttering phyllo until all sheets have been used.
- Cut stacks into 6 equal pieces.
- Place one square inside each muffin tin or ramekin, allowing edges to stand up out of mold. Divide cheese-apple mixtue evenly between phyllo cups.
- Place in over and bake at 275 degrees for 20 minutes, or until lightly brown and puffy.
- Cool to room temperature before removing from molds.