Get creative and show off your favorite sweet or savory fillings in a fancy puff pastry frame.
- Ingredients for Filling
- 2 6-ounce packages dried apricots (unsulfured is best)
- 2 cups boiling water
- boiling water
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon Marsala wine or vanilla extract
- Ingredients for Base
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 17.3-ounce package (two 9-inch sheets) frozen puff pastry thawed
- confectioners ’ sugar for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For the filling, pour boiling water over apricots to cover; let sit for 5 minutes. Drain apricots, cut into quarters, and transfer to a bowl. In a small bowl, heat apricot preserves and Marsala in the microwave until softened, 20 to 30 seconds. Add to the apricots and stir together.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and 1 tablespoon water together.
- Sprinkle a cutting board with flour and unfold a sheet of puff pastry. Roll out a bit to make a 10-inch square and cut into quarters. Place the squares on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with second sheet. Brush pastry lightly with the egg wash.
- Divide apricot mixture evenly, placing mixture in a mound in the center of each pastry square. Pinch the edges of the pastry up around the filling, leaving the center slightly open. Brush the outside of the pastry with remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the oven, or until pastry turns a golden brown. Wait at least 2 minutes to serve warm, or serve at room temperature. Sprinkle the tops with confectioners’ sugar if desired.