This yellow rice uses turmeric and saffron for its vibrant color and flavorful taste.
(Recipe Courtesy: Marc Matsumoto from the Fresh Tastes Blog)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 loosely packed teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2.7 ounces (75 grams, or 1/2 small) onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice (such as basmati)
- Add the saffron and turmeric to the chicken stock, stir, and let it sit while you chop and sauté the onions.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, add the oil and onions and sauté over medium-high heat until the onions start to brown around the edges.
- Add the rice, and stir to coat evenly with the oil.
- Add the chicken stock, and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and cover the pot, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer. Set the timer for 15 minutes.
- When the rice is cooked, turn off the heat but do not remove the lid. Let the rice steam for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, fluff the rice and serve.