Asian Beef Salad
by Chef Michel Nischan
Served with garden greens, radishes and sugar snap peas
- 1 lb. sirloin tips
- 1 cup cooking sake
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger or 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 3/4 cups tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light sesame oil or 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil mixed with 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 cups fresh salad greens
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup fresh sugar snap peas
- Salt and pepper
- Combine the sake, sugar and ginger in a small saucepot. Place over medium heat for two minutes, or until the sugar is just dissolved. Transfer to a dish just large enough to hold the sirloin tips.
- Add the soy sauce and fresh chives, then add the sirloin tips. Marinate refrigerated for 3 hours.
- To cook, grill or broil until the steak reaches the desired doneness — about 3 to 4 minutes for rare, 5 to 6 minutes for medium and 8 to 10 minutes for well done, depending on the thickness of the tips.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing and serving (which leaves you just enough time to toss the salad!).
- Combine the vinegar and oil in a large salad bowl. Whisk vigorously to blend. Immediately add the salad greens, radishes and peas. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and toss well.
- To serve, either toss in the sliced sirloin tips, or mound the salad into the center of a chilled salad plate and arrange the steak strips over or around the salad. It's your salad, do as you like!
Tips/TechniquesRecipe courtesy of Michel Nischan
© 2005 Michel Nischan
This segment appears in show #3013.