- 1 12-ounce bag shredded cabbage (green or purple, or blended)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded, sliced in to thin sticks
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 5 medium green onions, sliced
- 12 leaves washed fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Combine all vegetables in a bowl, toss
- For the Dressing:
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic minced from jar or 1 clove minced
- 3 tablespoons white or cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon white sugar, granulated
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Combine in small bowl and whisk well.
- Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
Tips/TechniquesThis recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart program, part of the My Heart. My Life. Platform. More recipes available at www.heart.org/simplecooking.
Nutrition Per Serving: Calories 42, Total Fat 1.0g, Saturated Fat 0.0g, Trans Fat 0.0g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0g, Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 0.0mg, Sodium 107mg, Carbohydrates 7g, Fiber 2g, Sugars 4g, Protein 2g.
Dietary Exchanges: 1 vegetable