Baba Ghanoush with Sea Salt
Try this Middle Eastern recipe for baba ghanoush with sea salt for a delicious roasted eggplant dip. Jenna Weber shares her technique for making baba ghanoush in a full post on the Fresh Tastes blog.
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 lb)
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic
- sea salt
- Slice the eggplant into 1” cubes. Lay eggplant on a paper towel-lined tray and generously sprinkle with salt. Place more paper towels on top and let sit for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Squeeze out any extra liquid from eggplant with paper towels, then scatter eggplant cubes onto a greased cookie sheet, sprinkle with a little more salt (really!), and roast for 25 minutes.
- Remove roasted eggplant from the oven and transfer to a food processor or high-speed blender. Add tahini, lemon juice, paprika and garlic. Process until smooth but still slightly chunky. Add additional salt to taste.
- Serve babaganoush with pita bread, crackers or as a sandwich spread. Babaganoush will keep in the fridge for up to six days.
Tips/TechniquesYou can peel the eggplant prior to slicing and roasting if you prefer, but I like the bit of color that the pretty purple skin adds along with texture. It’s up to you!