Baby Egg Rolls
Sara Moulton shares her baby egg rolls recipe with dipping sauce from her cooking show, Sara's Weeknight Meals. This Chinese recipe is a great appetizer.
Yield: Makes 30 egg rolls
- For the egg rolls:
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- one 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- one 1/2 –pound boneless pork chop cut into thin strips
- 2 scallions, white and 1 inch of the green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 large red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup thinly sliced napa cabbage
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 30 square wonton wrappers
- For the dipping sauce:
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Make the egg rolls: Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the pork and stir until it turns white, about 2 minutes. Transfer the pork to a plate and set aside. Add the scallions, carrot and red pepper to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the cabbage, stock and soy sauce. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Return the pork to the skillet and let the contents of the skillet cool to room temperature. You should have about 2 cups.
- Lay the wrappers flat on a work surface. Brush the edges lightly with water. Top with about 1 tablespoon of the filling and roll into a cylinder, tucking the in the sides and pressing the edges to seal. (The egg rolls can be frozen at this point.) Heat the remaining vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until almost smoking. Working in batches, add the rolls and cook, turning often with tongs, until golden brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
- Make the dipping sauce: Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and sugar in a small bowl. Stir well and serve on the side with the rolls.