Baked Apples with Maple Yogurt Sauce
Try this baked apples recipe made with maple yogurt sauce. You can watch Sue prepare the dish in this clip from Lakeland Cooks!
- Baked Apples:
- 4 large, firm, tart apples, such as Fuji, Pink Lady, or Gala
- 1-2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Maple Yogurt Sauce:
- 3/4 cup lowfat yogurt, plain or vanilla
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Baked Apples: Core the apples and remove the top inch of the skin.
- Make a shallow cut just breaking through skin around the center of each apple to prevent skin from bursting.
- Place the apples upright in baking dish or pie plate.
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar, raisins, oatmeal, walnuts, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until combined.
- Spoon into center of each apple.
- Add water to cover bottom of dish. Bake, uncovered, in 375-degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes for less firm apples, and up to 50 minutes for firm varieties, or until apples are tender when pierced with a toothpick.
- Maple Yogurt Sauce: In bowl, combine yogurt and maple syrup. Pour over baked apples.