There's nothing like eating baked beans around a roaring campfire. I can't get you the campfire, but here's a recipe for the beans!
- 2 1/2 cup canned white beans (1 28 oz. can) drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Vegetable oil
- 3 hotdogs
- Check with a grownup and wash your hands before you begin.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients (except hotdogs) in a large bowl.
- Pour a little bit of olive oil into the baking dish, and rub it all around the bottom and sides with a paper towel. This greases the baking dish so that your beans won't stick when you bake them.
- Spoon the beans into the baking dish.
- Cut the hotdogs into 1/4 inch thick round pieces.
- Put the hotdog pieces on top of the beans.
- Cover the baking dish with a lid or with aluminum foil.
- Use oven mitts to put the baking dish in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Use oven mitts to take the beans out of the oven, and remove the lid or foil.
- Use your oven mitts to put the beans back in the oven. Bake for another 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Again, use oven mitts to take the beans out of the oven.
- Clean up the kitchen before you enjoy your food. If you can find a picture of a campfire, you should sit around that!
Tips/TechniquesUTENSILS: Large bowl, large spoon, shallow oven-proof baking dish, large spoon, knife, aluminum foil, and oven mitts