Baked Chicken and Italian Sausage
Recipe by Denise Santoro Lincoln
- 2 Rosie chickens cut up
- 8 Mild Italian Molinari sausages
- 3 Medium yellow onions
- 6 Large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves
- 2/3 cups extra virgin olive oil
- lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- 3 Large red or yellow peppers
- 1 teaspoon Salt and Pepper each
- Divide chickens and sausages into two baking pans and top with the rosemary, salt, pepper and lemon zest, along with enough olive oil to thoroughly coat the meat (Divide everything between the two pans).
- Mix seasonings into the meat with your hands, being sure to get the seasoned oil under the chicken skin and onto the meat.
- Let marinate for at least an hour and up to a day in the refrigerator (if you don’t have time, you can bake it immediately, but the chicken will have more of a lemony-rosemary taste if it marinates first).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peal potatoes and cut them into ¼-inch thick slices
- Slide potato slices under the chicken and sausage pieces.
- Chop onions into wedges and add them to the mix.
- Drizzle more olive oil on top.
- Cover pans with aluminum foil and bake for a half hour.
- After a half hour has passed, uncover the pans and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the pans from the oven to add the red and yellow peppers. Turn the sausages over so the undersides get a chance to brown.
- Bake for another 5-15 minutes or until the chicken and sausage are browned and reach 170 degrees.
- Place bread in the oven for about five minutes to heat it.
- Serve on a platter with the bread.