Baked Cod and Chorizo
Cook time: 30 Minutes
Total time: 50 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces chorizo or smoked sausage (such as kielbasa) thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes (peel first if desired), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 leeks white and light green parts only — halved lengthwise, rinsed, and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds cod fillets
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves roughly chopped
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown on both sides.
- Add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the leeks, broth, saffron, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse the cod and pat it dry with paper towels. Season with the remaining salt and pepper. Place it on top of the potatoes and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Bake until the cod is the same color throughout and flakes easily, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and transfer to individual plates.