Here's an easy recipe for a classic baked custard that is perfect for dinner parties. Garnish with cinnamon to complete the dish. Elevate your next dessert with baked custard.
Source: American Egg Board, Eggcyclopedia
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups skim or 1% milk
- cinnamon (optional)
- In a medium bowl beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until well blended.
- Heat milk in a saucepan until very hot (but not boiling); stir into egg mixture.
- Place 6 lightly greased 6-ounce custard cups or one 1 1/2-quart casserole in a large baking dish. Pour egg mixture into cups or casserole. Place pan on rack in preheated 350° F oven.
- Pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of top of cups or 1 inch of top of casserole.
- Bake until knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 30 minutes for cups or 40-60 minutes for casserole. Remove promptly from hot water.
- Cool on wire rack about 5-10 minutes. Serve warm or refrigerate and chill thoroughly to serve cold. Garnish with ground cinnamon if desired.
Nutrition Info(Each serving provides 140 calories, 40 calories from fat, 4.5 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 150 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 19 grams carbohydrates, 18 grams sugar, 9 grams protein)