Baked Four Cheese Macaroni
This macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food and tastes twice as good as the version from the box.
- 1 lb. penne rigate cook EXACTLY 7 minutes at a rapid boil
- 5 ½ cups whole milk scalded (heated just below boiling point)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 1/4 tablespoon paprika plus additional for sprinkling on top
- 2 ½ tablespoons garlic minced
- 6 ounces romano cheese
- 12 ½ ounces fontina cheese
- 15 ounces cheddar cheese
- 12 ½ ounces parmesan cheese plus additional for sprinkling on top
- Melt butter over low heat and add flour. Whisk constantly to prevent it from turning brown. Stir in paprika and garlic. Slowly add hot milk to the butter & flour, continually whisking to reduce lumps. After all milk is added, reduce heat to medium and continue to stir until thickened. Pour mixture through a strainer to remove any lumps & garlic pieces.
- Return sauce over medium heat, and add cheese. Stir continually to melt cheese.
- Pour cheese sauce over cooked penne and mix well. Place in a large casserole dish and sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake for 30 minutes in a 350° F preheated oven.
- You can also bake this in individual serving bowls – just make sure the bowls are oven proof and adjust the baking time to suit the portion size.