Make this baked ricotta recipe for an easy appetizer. (Recipe Credit: Adrianna Adarme from the Fresh Tastes blog)
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 10 ounces (about 1 cup) whole milk ricotta, divided
- 2 teaspoons reserved whey (from ricotta container) or water
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- Small crackers or slices of baguette, to serve
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. To a small sauté pan, set over medium heat, pour in the olive oil, add the shallot and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Mix in the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, until fragrant. Turn off heat and set aside.
- To a food processor, add 1/3 cup ricotta, the whey or water and pulse 4 or 5 times, until very smooth. To a medium bowl, add the whipped ricotta, remaining ricotta, sautéed shallots and garlic, Parmesan-Reggiano cheese, lemon zest, salt, and crushed red pepper; fold everything together until thoroughly mixed. Taste and adjust salt according to your liking.
- Transfer to a small oven-safe bowl or dish. Top with mozzarella and transfer to oven to bake until warm and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Serve with warm bread and crackers.