Balsamic-Glazed Pearl Onions
Try this balsamic-glazed pearl onions recipe from the "Onions" episode of Martha Stewart's Cooking School.
- 2 bags (10 ounces each) red or white pearl onions (or a combination of both)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Cut an X in stem end of each onion, and when water reaches a boil, place ones in water for one minute. Drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle, then carefully peel, leaving root and stem ends intact.
- In a large skillet, combine onions, wine, butter, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until onions are tender and liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes (if onions are large, increase cooking time and add more water).
- Add vinegar and cook until sauce thickens and onions are glazed, 2 to 3 minutes.