The use of this hardy grain dates to the Stone Age; barley is possibly the oldest grain in the world. Watch Mary Ann Esposito make Barley Salad at CiaoItalia.com!
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked hulled whole or pearled barley
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced provolone cheese
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded radicchio
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one large lemon
- Salt to taste
- 4 to 6 large beefsteak tomatoes
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in the parsley, carrot, cucumber, cheese, oregano, radicchio, olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and reserve. Hollow out the pulp, cube it and mix it into the barley mixture.
- Stuff the tomato cavities with the mixture, replace the tops. Serve or refrigerate until needed. Bring to room temperature before serving.