Grits are like collard greens and fried chicken in the South. Everyone has their “unique” way of preparing them, and they believe their method is the best. Here is how we do basic grits at Chef and the Farmer.
- 2 cups white stone ground grits
- 2 quarts of milk
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a double boiler combine the grits and the milk. Bring this up to a simmer around the edges.
- Whisk semi-frequently and cook until the grits have expanded and soaked up the milk and are thick. This could take up to two hours.
- Season aggressively with salt and less aggressively with black pepper.
- Off the heat, whisk in the heavy cream.