- 3/4 cup rice (brown or white)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile chopped (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 box frozen corn kernels (10 ounces)
- 6 scallions thinly sliced
- 8 burrito-size (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (8 ounces)
- Salsa and sour cream (optional)
- Cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add onions, garlic, jalapeño, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add beans and 1 ½ cups water; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Add corn; cook to heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in scallions.
- Heat tortillas according to package instructions; fill with rice, bean mixture, and cheese. Assemble: Mound ¼ cup rice, ¾ cup bean mixture, and ¼ cup cheese on one side of tortilla. Fold, and hold in sides. Starting from filled end, holding sides in as you work, tightly roll into a bundle. Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and prepare remaining burritos.
- Serve immediately, with salsa and sour cream, if using, or wrap individually in plastic and freeze up to 3 months.
Tips/TechniquesNote: Before wrapping individually, freeze burritos on a baking sheet so they don’t come apart in the process; then put back in freezer.
Reheating From Frozen:
Microwave and oven: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate; microwave on high for 3 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet; bake at 450° until crispy, about 10 minutes. This is our favorite quick method.
Oven only: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap; rewrap individually in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet; bake at 450°, 40 minutes; remove foil, and bake to crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. (To reheat defrosted burritos, remove any wrapping, and bake for 10 minutes.)
Microwave only: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate, covered with a microwave-safe bowl, and defrost at high power for 3 to 4 minutes; uncover, and microwave on high, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
Nutrition InfoPer serving: (without salsa and sour cream) 519 calories; 18.6 grams fat; 18.7 grams protein; 70.5 grams carbohydrates; 7.4 grams fiber