Using reduced fat feta cheese would lower the fat and calories, and still be delicious. Source: Allrecipes.com
- 4 bunches of fresh, small beets (stems removed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste• 1 lb of greens (lettuce or any nice mix of greens)
- 1 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- For salad: Coat the beets lightly with oil and roast them in a 450 degree oven for 45 minutes. (You could also wrap them in foil and bake them on a grill outdoors!) Allow them to cool, peel, and then dice.
- For dressing: Combine the lemon, vinegar, honey, mustard, and thyme in a blender. While the blender is running, gradually add the ½ cup of oil. You are making a creamy dressing. Pour over and mix the dressing in the salad greens. Place greens on a plate or salad dish and sprinkle the roasted, diced beets over the top. Top with the cheese.
Nutrition InfoEach serving provides 167 calories, 100 calories from fat, 11 grams of fat, 2.7 grams of saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 15 grams carbohydrate, 5.5 grams fiber, 8 grams sugars, 4.3 grams protein