Belgian-Style Roasted Mussels
Roasted mussels in a beer and Pernod broth served with fries and a mayonnaise dip.
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 4 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh fennel
- 1/2 cup amber ale
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon safflower (poor man's saffron)
- 2 lbs. black or blue medium-sized mussels
- 2 ounces Pernod
- 2 tablespoons finely diced stewed tomatoes
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil, fennel, and shallots. Sauté until translucent, but don't allow to turn brown. Increase heat, add beer and chicken stock, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add safflower.
- Heat a separate skilled over medium-high heat. Add mussels and cover pan for three minutes. Discard any mussels that don't open. Carefully add Pernod and cover for one minute.
Sprinkle diced tomatoes over mussels and gradually add broth to mussels. Stir once, gently. Serve in a deep bowl with a side of friends and mayonnaise dip for the fries.
A tall galss of Stella Artois draft beer goes really well with this dish.