- 1 large round loaf of heavy bread
- Herb Vinaigrette
- 2 or more ripe, juicy tomatoes
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, roasted, peeled and quartered
- 4 ounces gouda, mozzarella, goat or other favorite cheese, sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Slice the top third off the loaf of bread and set it aside. Pull out the inside. You can use it to make bread crumbs.
- Paint the inside of the bread with some of the dressing, then make layers of sliced tomatoes, pepper, and cheese.
- Bathe each layer with the dressing and season with salt and pepper to serve. This packs well if wrapped tightly.
- Add the top, press down, then cut into wedge.
To roast a pepper on the grill: start with a hot grill and whole, washed peppers. Place them on the rack, turning frequently, until they are charred and blistered on the outside. They won’t look edible but the black skin will come off. Take the peppers from the grill and place immediately in a glass bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let the pepper steam for 10 minutes. Remove pepper from bowl. Pull out stem, use fingers to peel away charred skin, cut open and remove seeds.
To roast a pepper in the oven: put it into a shallow baking dish and pop it under the broiler. Watch the pepper and turn it as it chars so that all sides are black. Remove from oven and steam as above.