Black Bean Burger
Fizzy’s Tip: These burgers can be served with any of the following: Lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, jack cheese, lime wedges, plain yogurt, or sour cream.
Yield: Serves 4 (makes 4 6-ounce or 6 4-ounce burgers)
- 2 (16 ounce cans) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 scallions minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place 2 cups of the black beans in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until chunky. Transfer the processed beans to a large mixing bowl, and add the whole black beans, breadcrumbs, eggs, scallions, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and oregano and mix until well combined. Divide the mixture into 4 patties, ¾- 1 inch thick. Sprinkle the patties with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; once hot, add the oil. Cook until well browned on both sides and heated throughout, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve.