Black Bean Soup
Tastes like you cooked for hours to make this delicious soup.
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- 1 15-ounce container fresh salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 16-ounce can lowfat refried black beans
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 small avocado peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add salsa, reserving about 3 tablespoons to use as a garnish.
- Add cumin and cook until salsa is heated through, about 4 minutes. (The heat of the salsa will determine the spiciness of the soup.)
- Add all the beans and the broth; bring mixture to a simmer and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze lime juice over the top and blend in.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with remaining salsa, avocado, cheese, sour cream and cilantro.