Recipe courtesy of AUNI, the Agaston Urban Nutrition Initiative
When Michele Obama challenged American schools to create healthy cafeteria recipes for a national competition, many Philadelphians sprang into action. WHYY Friday Arts chronicles the coming together of numerous forces, including chef Daniel McLaughlin, the non-profit AUNI, the Agatston Urban Nutrition Initiative, and the Philly children and teens who participate in AUNI's cooking clubs, to create a delicious and healthy menu that any school would be proud to serve.
Photo Credit: Flickr
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 bell pepper - chopped
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed, and mashed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook until tender.
- Stir in mashed beans. Mix in cumin, paprika, cayenne, chili powder, and salsa.
- Cover, and cook 5 minutes.