Black Forest Cake
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling clear potato water
- 25 ouncecan cherry pie filling
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9” cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together chocolate, butter, potatoes, and brown sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add chocolate mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Mix in potato water, only until it makes a batter. Pour into cake pans. Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool 10 minutes in pan then completely cool on wire racks.
- Slice each layer into two even layers. Take one layer and crumble and set aside. Place one layer on serving dish.
- Prepare whipping cream by beating the cream until soft peaks form, slowly add powdered sugar.
- Top layer on serving dish with 1 cup whipping cream, 3/4 cup of cherry filling and add another layer.
- Repeat next layer ending with the cake layer.
- Frost cake with remaining whipped cream.
- Top cake with remaining cherries.
- Carefully pat the cake crumbs around the outside of the cake.