Black Pudding or Blood Sausage
When it comes to black pudding, the name says it all.
- 5 cups fresh pig's blood
- 1 1/3 cups bread cut into cubes
- 5 cups milk
- 1 lb. cooked barley
- 1 lb. fresh beef suet
- 1 cup fine oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried and crumbled mint
- Put the bread cubes to soak in the milk in a warm oven. Do not heat the milk beyond blood temperature!
- Have the blood ready in a large bowl and pour the warm milk and bread into it. Stir in the cooked barley.
- Grate the beef suet into the mixture and stir it up with the oatmeal. Season with the salt, pepper and mint.
- Have 2 or 3 large roasting pans ready. Divide the mixture between them - they should be no more than 3/4 full. Bake at 350°F for about an hour, or until the pudding is well cooked through.
- To serve, cut into squares and fry in bacon fat or butter till heated through and the outside is crisp. Delicious for breakfast or for supper with fried apples and mashed potato.