Bourbon-Whole Grain Mustard Sauce
This sauce will accompany any grilled beef or red meat. It is especially good on a blackened steak.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup shallots or mild onion diced
- 1 cup bourbon
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, sauté shallots in olive oil until soft and starting to brown.
- Remove from heat, add bourbon and stock, return to medium heat and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add peppercorns, then whisk in honey and mustard and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and whisk in chilled butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Tips/TechniquesServing Suggestions: Serve with grilled red meat or blackened steak
Beverage Suggestions: Zinfandel or full-bodied Pinot Noir