- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped broccoli thawed
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Flour for rolling dough
- 2 packages (1 pound each) balls fresh or frozen pizza dough thawed if frozen
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded (6 ounces) part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Prepared tomato sauce optional
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onion; cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add broccoli, garlic, and pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl; set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Form calzones: Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, stretch each piece out, first to a 3-by-4-inch oval, then stretch again, this time to a 6-by-8-inch oval. (Let dough rest a few minutes if too elastic to work with.)
- Stir cheeses into cooled broccoli mixture; season generously with salt and pepper.
- Assemble calzones: Spread a rounded 1/2 cup broccoli mixture over half of each piece of dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border; fold over to form a half-moon. Press edges to seal. With a paring knife, cut 2 slits in the top of each calzone.
- Using a wide metal spatula with a thin blade, transfer calzones to 2 baking sheets lined with parchment or waxed paper; reshape if needed.
- Bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Serve with tomato sauce, if desired.