Brussels Sprouts with Brown Butter
Brussels sprouts with brown butter makes for a delicious component of a rich meal. Recipe shared by Emily Sarlatte on Bringing It Home with Laura McIntosh.
Total time: 30-40 Minutes
- Brussels sprouts:
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts leaves (cut off the stems and pull apart leaves, like pulling part cabbage leaves, but smaller)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp toasted pistachio nuts, rough chopped
- 2 Jamon Serrano slices, cut thin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Lemon wedges
- Balsamic Brown Butter:
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Splash of Bourbon
- Instructions for brussels sprouts:
- Heat brown butter and oil, add Brussels sprouts leaves, cook until bright green and tender.
- Add cranberries. Squeeze in 1 lemon wedge.
- In a separate pan heated on high, add the jamon and cook until crisp.
- Remove jamon and crumble into bits.
- Instructions for balsamic brown butter:
- Heat butter over medium heat until golden brown, 6 minutes, agitating occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in honey, dijon, balsamic, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sprouts leaves mixture and deglaze with a splash of bourbon.
- Assembling brussels sprouts with brown butter:
- Plate sprouts, garnish with the pistachio, lemon wedge and crispy jamon serrano.
Tips/TechniquesTo clean Brussels sprouts, pull off and discard any damaged or yellowed outer leaves, trim the stems, soak in cold water and drain. Cut the Brussels sprouts as desired for each recipe. Be mindful to not overcook the Brussels sprouts; just cook only until crisp and tender because they can develop a sulfur smell that can be very unpleasant when overcooked (one of the reasons many people are turned off by them to begin with!)