Bubble & Squeak
This is a very old dish, used as a way to finish up the leftovers. The name comes from what happens when you cook it.
- 1 medium head cabbage sliced
- 3 slices bacon diced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked cubed ham or beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups potatoes mashed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, cook cabbage in small amount of water until done, about 5 minutes. Drain, remove cabbage and set aside.
- In same pan, sauté bacon and onion until soft, add ham, and cook until heated through.
- Stir in butter, then add the cooked cabbage.
- Mix in potatoes and stir well. Season with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cook for additional 15 minutes without stirring, so that the edges and underside are browned but not stuck.
- Serve piping hot.