by Mark Gaier and Clark Frasier
An interactive salad platter served with a spicy Russian dressing
- 2 ounces lettuce leaves
- 1 ounce soba noodles
- 1 ounce egg noodles
- 1 ounce bean thread noodles
- 1 red onion shaved
- 12 pieces red bell pepper peeled and julienned
- 12 pieces yellow bell pepper peeled and julienned
- 1 tablespoon peanuts toasted
- 1 tablespoon split peas cooked in salted water until al dente dredged in seasoned flour, and fried
- 7 pieces garlic thinly sliced and fried
- 7 pieces shallots cut into rings, dredge in seasoned flour, and fried
- Tomatoes sliced
- Cilantro small sprigs
- Scallions thin rings
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds toasted
- Tea leaves
- Toss the lettuce leaves with the dressing (see recipe below) and arrange in a fan at the top of a large plate.
- Place the tomato slices across the bottom of the plate.
- Make separate mounds of the 3 types of noodles (by twisting the noodles around a fork) and place above the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the rest of the ingredients over the plate but refrain from covering the lettuce and spritz with more dressing.
- This salad is meant to be interactive. Once placed in front of your guest, instruct them to toss everything together or if they prefer to enjoy it at their own leisure, mixing as they go.
Tips/TechniquesThis segment appears in show #3303.
Recipe courtesy of Mark Gaier and Clark Frasier
© 2008 Mark Gaier and Clark Frasier