Burnt Almond Torte
Bake this burnt almond torte recipe from QED Cooks with Chris Fennimore.
- Pastry Cream Filling Ingredients:
- 9 ounce Whole Milk
- 2 1/2 ounce Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1 1/2 ounce Cake Flour
- 1 ounce Butter
- Butter cream Icing Ingredients:
- 1 lb. Powdered Sugar
- 6 ounces Emulsified Shortening
- 6 ounces butter
- 4 ounces water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Toasted Almonds Ingredients:
- 7 1/2 ounce Coarse Sugar
- 2 ounce Sliced Almonds
- 2 ounce Water
- Toasted Almond Torte Ingredients:
- 1 - 7 x 7 square layer of white cake
- 8 ounce - Pastry Cream
- 12 ounce - Butter Cream Icing
- 2 ounce - Toasted sliced Almonds
- Add Milk, Butter to Sauce Pan over medium heat
- Mix Sugar, Flour, Eggs together in mixing bowl using a whisk
- Bring Milk, butter, Flour mixture to slow boil
- Add slowly 2-3 ounce of mixture to eggs & sugar in mixing bowl (tempering eggs). Add tempered eggs mixture back to sauce pan. Bring mixture to slow boil and then remove from heat
- Mix butter, shortening, sugar, salt in a bowl.
- Add water while whipping. Add Vanilla. Continue whipping until desired consistency is reached.
- Mix all ingredients in bowl. Spread on a baking sheet. Toast in 350° oven until golden brown
- Split cake layer and remove top half. Spread 8 ounce of Pastry Cream on bottom half of split cake. Put the top half of split layer back. Ice torte in butter cream. Take handful of sliced almonds and press into sides of torte. Sprinkle toasted almonds on top of torte. Finish by coating top with powdered sugar.