Buttermilk Baked Chicken
Served with slaw or potato salad, this chicken dinner will feel like an indoor picnic. Any leftover chicken will make a great school lunch.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Total time: 50 Minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- Vegetable oil for baking sheet
- 8 slices white bread
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (2 ½ ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 lbs. chicken parts (preferably legs thighs, and wings), rinsed and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 400°. Generously rub a baking sheet with oil. In a food processor, pulse bread until it turns into coarse crumbs.
- In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, hot-pepper sauce, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. In a separate bowl, mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan, thyme, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, turning to coat evenly. Working with one piece at a time, remove chicken from liquid, letting excess drip back into bowl; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place coated chicken pieces on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until chicken is golden brown, about 35 minutes.
Tips/TechniquesNote: Leave enough space between the chicken pieces so that they crisp evenly all the way around.