Buttermilk Coffee Cake
This Buttermilk Coffee Cake is packed with sweet blueberries and tart plums. Feel free to mix and match your choice of fruits according to what's in season.
- Ingredients for Topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Ingredients for Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 heaping cup Italian plums diced
- 1 heaping cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square pan.
- In a bowl, mix topping ingredients together with a fork or pastry cutter until combined. Set aside.
- For the cake, beat butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. I do this by hand; a mixer is great. Add the egg and vanilla and beat in.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture alternately with the buttermilk, stirring just until combined. Batter will be thick.
- Gently fold in the fruit, and spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with topping and back to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- The coffee cake is good warm or cold. Cool on a rack for at least 20 minutes before serving.