Here’s a classic recipe, from pastry chef Lisa Donovan, for an all time southern favorite…Buttermilk Pie!
Yield: This recipe makes enough filling for two 9" pies
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 12 eggs
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 3 cups buttermilk (I prefer Cruze's)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- One lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 8 ounces melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Keep the unbaked pie shell in the fridge until ready to use…the crust should be nice and cold before baking (but not frozen).
- Whisk all other ingredients together, adding buttermilk in at the very end to avoid curdling.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the cold, unbaked pie shell and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until you get an even jiggle throughout. You want the same kind of jiggle you would see on a panna cotta. It should not be too firm, because it will continue to cook and set up as it cools.
- Allow to cool for one hour before serving.