Butterscotch pudding with whipped cream and house made cookies
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 12 ounces butterscotch chips
- 1 vanilla bean
- 10 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- 1/4 ounce Scotch whiskey
- 1/2 ounce heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Put the 1 3/4 cups heavy cream and butterscotch chips into a saucepan. Split open the vanilla bean and scrape the inside into the cream. Bring all to a boil and set aside.
- Place the egg yolks into a large bowl. Slowly add the above cream mixture while whisking. Set aside.
- Mix the brown sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat and let mixture caramelize. Remove from heat and carefully pour in Scotch and 1/2 ounce heavy cream. Return to heat and stir until all is melted. Pour this into the cream and egg base mixture. Add salt.
- Strain mixture into ovenproof ramekins. Bake at 250 degrees in a water bath until custard sets. Place in the refrigerator. When cool, top with whipped cream and serve.
Tips/TechniquesNote: It would be a good idea to double this recipe. It can also be baked off in a hotel pan and scooped into large martini glasses for service.
Serve in large martini glasses.