Cabbage Coconut Shrimp Rolls
Wrap up coconut-covered shrimp in cabbage leaves for a healthy meal from food blogger Adrianna Adarme of the Fresh Tastes blog.
- For the Dipping Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 green onion, sliced
- For the Coconut Shrimp:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 medium-sized shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 large egg
- Coconut oil, for the pan
- Since the shrimp cook quickly, I say set everything up. Place the cucumbers, carrots, herbs and cabbage on a large platter. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey and fish sauce. Top with green onion. Set all aside.
- We're going to start by making an assembly line. In a medium bowl, whisk together the shredded coconut, flour and salt. In another small bowl, beat the egg. Start by dipping the shrimp in the egg; allowing any excess to drip off. Immediately roll the shrimp in the coconut mixture, being sure it's thoroughly coated. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat process with the remaining shrimp.
- In a sauté pan, add about a tablespoon of coconut oil. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp (you'll probably have to cook them in a few batches), cooking them on each side until the shrimp are no longer translucent and the coconut is lightly golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- To assemble wraps, fill a leaf of cabbage with a few slices of cucumber, carrots, a few sprigs of herbs and 2-3 coconut shrimp. Dip in sauce, if you like, and enjoy.