Cabbage Salad with Kamut and Lime Ginger Dressing
Drizzle lime ginger dressing over cabbage salad for a colorful dish. (Recipe Courtesy of Adrianna Adarme of the Fresh Tastes blog)
Yield: 4 servings, as a salad appetizer
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 3/4 cup kamut
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha
- Juice from 1 1/2 limes (about 3 tablespoons)
- Sea salt
- 6-7 mint leaves, minced
- Preheat broiler. Spread the sliced cabbage onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Toss until thoroughly coated. Transfer the baking sheet to the broiler for 2 minutes, just until the cabbage appears slightly softened and turns a very bright purple. Place the cabbage in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, set over medium heat, combine the kamut with 2 cups water. Allow to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, until the water has mostly evaporated and the kamut is tender. Transfer the kamut to a colander and rinse under cold water. Place the kamut in the bowl with the cabbage.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, shallot, ginger, sugar, lime juice, Sriracha and a few generous pinches of salt. Pour the dressing over the cabbage and kamut; toss until combined. Add the mint leaves and toss once more. Give it a taste and adjust the salt according to taste. Serve warm or cold. If you’d like the salad to be cold, transfer to the fridge for 1 hour to chill.