Caesar Salad – Insalata alla Cesare
This is not an Italian salad at all. You would not find it in Italy, but nonetheless it is a salad that was very popular in Italian American restaurants in the 60’s and 70’s and has made a strong come back now. You can find it in any deli or fast food locale topped with grilled chicken, shrimps or turkey. With all its different renditions and vestiges, if made well this is a great salad. This recipe will make a delicious, tasty and tangy Caesar salad.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 2 cups country bread cubes, about 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 large hard cooked eggs, yolks only
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads (1 package) romaine hearts, cut in 1-inch pieces crosswise
- 1/2 cup grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Scatter bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast until crisp throughout, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a mini food processor, combine vinegar, egg yolks, garlic, anchovies and mustard. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the work bowl as needed. With the processor running, pour the oil through the feed tube to make a smooth dressing, Season with the salt and pepper.
- Put the romaine and croutons in a large serving bowl. Drizzle with the dressing and toss well. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and toss again. Serve immediately.