Candy Cane Hot Cocoa
Kids and grownups alike will love this fun variation on hot cocoa simple enough for kids to prepare and help make. Alice Currah of SavorySweetLife.com. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 standard size candy canes crushed into a fine powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- mini marshmallows
- optional garnish: 4 standard size candy canes
- In a saucepan, bring water to boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir in cocoa powder, candy cane powder, sugar, and salt until smooth. Reduce heat to medium heat and add milk and half-and-half. Allow the hot chocolate to come to a simmer but not boiling. Pour hot cocoa into four mugs. Garnish with a small handful of marshmallows and a candy cane as an edible stirrer stick.
- Tip: For crushing the candy canes, break candy canes into pieces and place in a ziplock bag. Gently crush the candy canes into a fine powder with the flat side of a meat tenderizer. Food processors also work well for crushing candy canes.