Canh Chua Chay (Sweet and Sour Vegetable Soup)
Get the Canh Chua Chay (Sweet and Sour Vegetable Soup) recipe featured in Family Ingredients on PBS.
- * excellent with fresh fish and shrimp, or meats like pork spare ribs or chicken leg.
- *usually served with rice vermicelli as a noodle soup
- 1 ½ cups lemongrass chili satay
- 1 quart tamarind water (recipe follows)
- 1 gallon of water
- 5 roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 pineapple, medium diced
- 1/2 # okra, cut into 1/3
- 1# bean sprouts, whole
- 1# taro stem, cut into obliques
- 1c fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4# rice paddy herb, rough chopped
- 200g Palm sugar
- 90 g fish sauce (omit if making it Vegan and season to taste)
- 30g salt
- Tamarind Water
- 1-gallon water: 1# tamarind
- Chili Satay
- 1 cup chili oil
- ½ cup garlic, chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cup lemongrass, minced
- Bring to a boil and add the vegetables. Simmer till cooked. Finish seasoning with sugar, fish sauce, and salt to taste. Should be sweet and sour.
Tips/TechniquesFor Vegan - omit fish sauce and season to taste.