Caramelized Onion, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Pizza
Aviva Goldfarb of The Six O'Clock Scramble shares this recipes. See the full post at Kitchen Explorers.
Total time: 30 Minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion halved top to bottom and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces portobello mushroom caps coarsely chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce or red pasta sauce
- 2 whole wheat or white thin pre-baked pizza crusts such as Boboli (10 oz. each)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 – 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese or fresh or shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, and add the onions. Sauté them for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown. Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5 more minutes until the mushrooms begin to get dark and tender.
- Meanwhile, spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on each pizza crust, nearly to the edges. Top each with basil and oregano, followed by the mushrooms, onions, and cheese. Bake the pizzas directly on the oven rack for 10 minutes. Allow them to cool for about 2 minutes before slicing them with a pizza cutter.
- Flavor Booster: Top the pizzas with a little fresh basil or oregano just before baking them, and serve them with crushed red pepper flakes at the table.