Carciofi Stuffed Artichokes
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 loaf Italian bread (just the white moistened with water torn into small pieces)
- 2-3 cloves garlic minces
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 TBS olive oil
- Salt as desired
- Prepare artichokes by cutting the bottom stem (so that it can set flat) and slicing 1/2 to 3/4" off the top of the artichoke. With scissors, trim the tips off each leaf .
- Push the leaves back and remove the choke or center part of the artichoke with a small spoon.
- Mix all the other ingredients together in a large bowl to create the stuffing.
- Place stuffing in center of each artichoke and in between leaves.
- Place stuffed artichokes in large Dutch oven type pan with approximately 1 inch of water and 2 TBS olive oil.
- Cook covered for approximately 1 hour or until tender.
- Check often because water will evaporate. Serve warm. Artichokes can easily be reheated.