Cupcakes suitable for grown-ups.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Total time: 45 Minutes
Yield: Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots (from about 4 medium carrots)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 (1/2 stick) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, egg, yogurt, and vanilla. Stir in carrots. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture mixing until well combined. Divide among muffin tin. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, rotating pan halfway through until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. To frost: Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, and confectioners' sugar