Charred Sweet Corn Fritters with Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Food blogger Adrianna Adarme recommends smothering these corn fritters in homemade buttermilk ranch dressing on the Fresh Tastes blog. Don't forget to brown the butter first!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ear sweet corn, husk removed and washed
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, whole milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack (cheddar would work great, too!)
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Watching it carefully and stirring on occasion, continue cooking the butter as it transforms from yellow and foamy to golden brown with brown speckles throughout. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the brown butter in a ramekin. Cool the butter to room temperature. (This is a particularly important step because if you add warm butter to the cold milk, the butter will seize. If this happens, warm the milk and butter mixture until the butter remelts.)
- Rest the corn on the grate of your gas stove and turn the heat to medium. Char the corn on all sides, rotating it every 30 seconds or so. Cut the kernels off the cob and set them aside.
- Heat 4-inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, Old Bay and salt. In a measuring cup or small bowl, measure out the milk and the cooled melted butter; whisk until thoroughly combined. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. The mixture will be thick. Fold in the charred corn kernels and cheese.
- Using a 2-ounce ice cream scooper, drop scoops of batter into the hot oil. Cook the fritters for 3-4 minutes, flipping them at the 2 minute-mark, until they're golden brown on both sides. Transfer them to a bed of paper towels to drain. Serve with honey or buttermilk dressing.
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Food blogger Adrianna Adarme pairs this buttermilk ranch dressing with her charred corn fritters recipe.
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, shaken
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce of choice (I used Texas Pete)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all the mayonnaise, yogurt and buttermilk until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in the garlic clove, shallot, Italian parsley, chives and hot sauce.
- Salt and pepper the dressing, adjusting the flavor as you'd like.
Yield: 3/4 cup buttermilk dressing